Sunday 17 January 2010

68 to West Norwood

Ello, mates.

Long time no blog. Mostly, this is because if I were to actually recap the last week of my life I would sound like a lazy, nocturnal alcoholic nightmare. While that may be an accurate description, I figure it's best to spare my mum (+1 for Brit-speak) the details. Since most of my classes don't start until this week, my days have consisted of waking up at 1 (1300, according to my phone), eating at 4, and spending the rest of my time forcing myself to get dressed and make plans. Also, I Skype. Sometimes, I take a picture or two. I even shop. But mostly I lounge.

Things I've learned about Britain in the last 10 days? Instead of pre-game, they say 'pre-lash', and--considering that 'lash' is another word for get obliterated--this actually makes sense. Coffee with milk is 'white coffee'...if you don't order it the right way, be prepared for a condescending look and a correction. Apparently milk is not free. There are a lot of racist people here, and they really care about passports. When taking the night bus, know at what points in the hour it comes. This is especially important if you're in the middle of nowhere, alone and caught in the snow. Almost none of the rules in dorms (halls) actually apply. I should try harder to remember the difference between northern and southern accents. 'Estates' are housing projects. Don't offer a British person a lighter with a safety on it. They become annoyed. You can 'hire a mattress' for 1.50 should you ever need to stay on a friend's floor in another hall, because crashing on a bathroom rug with a sweater (jumper!) for a pillow is much too uncivilized. Everything comes with chips...everything. Stay away from Brown Sauce. Finally, if you go to the pub, you will never make it out.

Old people keep telling me that I'll 'take something away' from this experience, but as of yet the only thing I'm taking away are McDonald's chicken nuggets and brain cells.

London is fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment